NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Examine independence movements in Spain and Scotland, and explore the future of the nation state and regional autonomy in Europe.
WHY STUDY AUTONOMY IN BILBAO?
Steeped in culture, the de facto capital of Basque country is a dynamic place from which to explore independence politics in Spain and beyond. Site visits and discussions here and in the Catalonian city of Girona, hub of another secession movement, will give you firsthand experience interacting with pro- and anti-independence political leaders, policymakers, and activists. On excursions to Barcelona, French Basque Region, and Scotland, you’ll get an insider’s perspective on one of the hottest issues in Europe and see history in the making.
UNESCO named the port city of Bilbao a “City of Design” because of its unique architecture, food, and cultural institutions, including the famed Frank Gehry-designed Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.
- Travel to Barcelona, Girona, the French Basque Region, and Scotland.
- Study Spanish at the University of Deusto's International Spanish Center.
- Examine historical roots of ethnic and national conflict in Spain and other European nations.
- Meet Scottish independence leaders in Edinburgh.
Coursework in Policy Studies, European Studies, International Studies, Political Science, Sociology, Anthropology or Pre-Law Studies.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website
for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
KEY TOPICS OF STUDY
- Cultural institutions and Basque identity
- Catalonia’s independence movement and constitutional crisis in Spain
- Comparative approach to social policy in Spain and Scotland
- Regional autonomy, EU policy, and the future of European integration
- Comparative politics, human rights, and social movements research
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000 for semester programs.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD